Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 10, 2011

Vegetable Tomato Juice Recipe

Well, Fall is here in the upper Midwest. But, we have had warmer than normal temps. So my tomatoes are still coming in and I have had more than I know what do with lately. I have resorted to canning a majority of them, but today I decided to share with my savvy readers, about how to make a quick tomato juice for some everyday recipes, such as chili, goulash, porcupine meatballs. I will add this to chili this week. It is a great way to get your kiddos to eat more veggies, and adds a hearty flavor too! This recipe was taught to me by my Grandmother. :)

You will need: Large sauce pan, about 12 tomatoes, salt & pepper, chopped vegetables of your choice.
    1. Rinse your tomatoes under cool water and add to a pan of boiling water and let boil until skins split. (usually about 2 min)
    2. Once the skins have split, place tomatoes onto a cake pan to cool.

 3. Once tomatoes have slightly cooled, peel off skins and add to a large sauce pan along with chopped vegetables and salt & pepper. As you can see, I used chopped green peppers and celery and salt & pepper. Other good ideas are: Fresh basil, red & yellow peppers, onions.

 4. Cook over medium heat and stir for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have cooked down to a liquid. I use my Pampered Chef stir and chop tool~ LOVE it!
5. Once tomatoes have cooked down to a liquid, turn heat to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.

6. Finally turn off heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool and either use right away in your fav recipe or you can easily store in a ziploc bag or container. You can also freeze this recipe or can it.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment