Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

This is a little more labor intensive than boxed mac & cheese but so much better that the extra work is worth it! 

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked elbow mac
1 can reduced fat evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/3 cup egg substitute*
1 tbsp melted butter
8 oz. prepared cheese product, cubed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:
Cook macaroni according to package directions (I slightly undercook because they will continue to cook in the slow cooker); drain and rinse in cold water.  In large bowl mix evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute (*I never have this on hand so I use one whole egg instead) and butter.  Stir in cubed cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, and macaroni.  Pour into greased crock pot and cook on low for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until center is set, stirring once.  Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.  Makes 9 servings.

I recommend sticking with cheddar cheese as I've used a colby-jack mix and it didn't melt as nicely as the cheddar does.  This is obviously a healthied-up recipe but using full calorie/fat items will work just as well.  We have lots of leftovers so when I serve it again later this week I will add some leftover cubed ham to change it up a little.  My slow cooker has the removable crock (do they even make them without this feature anymore??) so I put the crock in the  fridge.  When we eat it again I put the crock back in the warmer to heat it up.  Saves on dirtying extra dishes!


Ingredients

Milk & Cheese Mix

Milk, Cheese, and Noodles

Before Heating

Finished!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night for a crowd of 50 and they ALL loved it!

    ReplyDelete